8th July 2019
Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) is today celebrating after being announced as a Silver Award winner in the category of ‘College of the Year’ at the BTEC Awards 2019.
Spanning 20 categories, the 9th annual Pearson BTEC Awards showcased the fantastic contributions made by students studying for BTECs, and staff and colleges delivering the qualifications. An expert panel of 52 judges carefully considered nominee before deciding upon award winners.
Pearson has been the guardian of BTECs for over 30 years and during this time the qualifications have facilitated the training of work-ready candidates with the knowledge and practical skills that employers need. These hands-on vocational qualifications continue to be respected as a valuable route straight into employment, and into employment via university.
In addition to the Group's Silver Award, a number of individual staff members and students have been recognised for their outstanding contributions in their field of work or study, as follows:
- Michele Robinson - Engineering Lecturer, Newcastle College: Silver Award
- Marie Myatt - Public Services Lecturer, Stafford College: Bronze Award
- Tracy Reynolds - Curriculum Leader Art & Design, Stafford College: Bronze Award
- Cheryl Smith - Curriculum Leader Art & Design, Newcastle College: Bronze Award
- Leona Alexander - Level 3 Performing Arts, Newcastle College: Bronze Award
- Megan Clarke - Level 3 Public Services, Stafford College: Bronze Award
- Toni Edgeley - Level 3 Art & Design, Newcastle College: Bronze Award
- Reece Hawkins - Level 3 Sport, Stafford College: Bronze Award
- Robyn Lea - Level 3 Health & Social Care, Stafford College: Bronze Award
- Lucy Simmons - Level 3 Art & Design, Stafford College: Bronze Award
On winning a Silver Award, Michele Robinson said: “My aim is to inspire and motivate all students to do their best and achieve more than they think they can do. For me, teaching is a vocation, not a job so I was both humbled and honoured to pick up a Silver Award in recognition of my passion for Engineering and continued dedication to my profession.”
Karen Dobson, Principal and Chief Executive of Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group, said: “To win a Silver Award for College of the Year and have numerous students and colleagues recognised in these annual international awards is a fantastic result. As a college, our ethos is ‘Committed to Excellence’ and we aim to create an environment where success is possible in all areas. These awards come at the end of another successful year at NSCG, I pass on huge congratulations to all who have received an award and thanks to the staff involved in making submissions.”