15th August 2019
Students and staff from Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) are celebrating success today after the A Level and BTEC results for the ‘Class of 2019’ were announced.
With Group-wide results being reported this year, following the reintroduction of A Levels at the Stafford College campus, the NSCG highlights were:
1165 A Level entries with pass rate of 97%
- 402 A Level entries achieved high grades A*-B with 707 achieving A* - C
- 1100 BTEC Extended Diploma entries with 100% pass rate
- Best ever BTEC Extended Diploma results across 24 subject areas – 80% of students achieving high grades, 54% awarded the highest possible grade of Distinction* (D*) and a record-breaking 35% achieving the highest possible grade combination of D*D*D*
- A total of 1212 entries across A Levels and BTECs achieved high grades (55%)
- 36 A Level courses report 100% pass rate
- Consistently high performing BTEC Extended Diploma subjects include: Musical Theatre where 100% of students achieved high grades, Health & Social Care where 94% of students achieved high grades, Computing where 88% achieved high grades, Applied Science where 87.5% achieved high grades, Travel & Tourism where 87% of students achieved high grades, Sport & Exercise Science where 85% of students achieved high grades, Childcare where 83% of students achieved high grades, Technical Theatre where 83% of students achieved high grades and Graphics where 81% achieved high grades (DMM or above)
- In Health & Social Care, 64% of students achieved the highest possible grade profile of D*D*D* (equivalent to 3 A* in A Levels)
- In Sport & Exercise Science, 56% of students achieved D*D*D* grades (equivalent to 3 A* in A Levels)
In 2018 NSCG sent more students to university than any college in Staffordshire and the Group is predicting that today’s results should once again see it maintain its position as the leading provider of students to higher education in the area, with over 1100 students set to be accepted in to their chosen universities.
Top performing students at the College are expected to progress to a number of prestigious universities across the UK and overseas including; Royal Veterinary College, University of Oxford, Keyano College (part of the University of Alberta, Canada), Goldsmiths, King’s College London, University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Durham, University of Leeds, University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Warwick, University of Ulster and University of York.
Karen Dobson, Principal and Chief Executive of NSCG said: “I’d like to pass on my personal congratulations to all of the students who are collecting their results today, as always I am so proud of what the students achieve during their time with us. I am delighted that once again we’ve maintained a solid Level 3 student performance, which will no doubt consolidate our position as one of the top college providers regionally for 16 to 18 year old learners.”
Continued Karen: “I am confident that the class of 2019 will leave NSCG fully equipped with the qualifications, skills and confidence to be successful in their further studies, employment or apprenticeship. We wish them every success in their future careers and we look forward to following their progression with interest. With September fast approaching, we are also looking forward to welcoming many new students to both our Newcastle College and Stafford College campuses and hope that these students are excited to become a part of our continued success story.”
Annually around 97% of NSCG students progress to university, an apprenticeship or employment.