NSCG | Level 2 Extended Certificate in Public Services
Application form loading
Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Course overview

This programme provides students with a broad-based knowledge and the roles undertaken in the Uniformed Public Services with the opportunity to select some specialised units.

Course Content
The programme comprises of 4 mandatory units with a requirement to meet a minimum of 360-guided learning hours (You will study a range of units from the list below):
• The Role and Work of the Public Services (Externally Assessed)
• Working Skills in the Public Service Sector
• Sport and Recreation
• Health, Fitness and Lifestyle for the Public Services
• Citizenship, Society and the Public Services (Externally Assessed)
• Crime and its Effects on Society and Individuals
• Preparing to respond to incidents
• Land Navigation by map and compass
• Employability Skills in the Public Services
• GCSE/Functional Skills Maths
• GCSE/Functional Skills English

We are committed to helping students to improve their skills in english and Maths. We want to help ALL students to WORK TOWARDS Level 2 qualifications in these subjects, regarded as vital for employment and further study. Whatever your specialist subject, we guarantee that you will have the opportunity and all the support that you need to boost your qualifications in English and Maths.

What else do I need to know?

You will learn through a well-balanced range of studies, which combines practical skills with theoretical knowledge. You will also develop skills that are applicable to many working environments including functional skills in maths, English and IT. As a student you will also have the opportunity to take additional qualifications alongside your main programme. Typical activities that you will be involved in throughout your time on the course include outdoor activity days/residential (e.g. mountain biking and rock climbing), presentations/talks from the RAF, Royal Navy, Police, Army, Fire and Rescue Service, visiting Army bases, Royal Navy Warships, Fire Stations and taking part in Fire and Rescue Exercises where appropriate.

Course Cost: £60 (this includes top and Shuborough trip)

What are the entry requirements?

You will need four GCSEs at grade 3 or above. Alternatively, you may have completed a related Level 1 course to a Merit grade. You are also asked to attend a college interview to establish that the course is suitable to your career intentions. It is important that you have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in Public Services and a willingness to explore new ideas. It is not a requirement that you have studied Public Services before.

How is it assessed?

Continuous assessment of coursework, assignments, practical skills and project. Submission of a portfolio containing evidence from the assignments that have been completed will be both internally and externally assessed. You will undertake internal assessment designed and implanted by the college which equates to 87.5% of your qualification. The remaining 12.5% is undertake via two external assessments, two awarding body designed written assessments.

What financial support is on offer?

This course is free for anyone aged 16 – 18. If you are outside this age group please contact 01782 254188.
College Maintenance Allowance (CMA): Anyone with a household income under £23,000 can receive up to £20 per week financial support to help pay for travel and meals and meet the costs of essential trips, books, stationery and equipment. The payments will be subject to full attendance on your course. A range of other financial support is available, depending on your personal circumstances. For more details visit www.nscg.ac.uk/finance

What can I do next?

BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in public services is a recognised qualification which can lead to job opportunities in the uniformed services such as Army, Navy, Royal Marines, RAF, Police, Fire Service, Prison Service. Additional to this it will give you a strong basis for other job roles. Finally completion with an overall Merit grade allows progression onto Level 3 BTEC courses.

How do I find out more?

Please contact Mark Kent, mark.kent3@nscg.ac.uk or 01785 275611.

Sport & Public Services

Course not right for you?

These similar courses may be more suited to you

BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport (AGFA)

Level 2

Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport (AGFA)

Level 2

Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport

Level 2

Level 2 Extended Certificate in Public Services

Level 2

Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport

Level 2

Community Activator Coach Intermediate Apprenticeship Standard

Level 2