Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

To download the Financial Support Application Form and Financial Support Guidance for 2018/19 please click the link at the bottom of this page

Remission of Fees

A range of our courses are currently FREE to many of our adult students. The fee remission table below provides a summary of the circumstances in which you could be eligible to waive some or the entire fee for your chosen course. This is correct as at time of publishing, but may be subject to change.


  • In order to satisfy audit requirements you will be required to give evidence of your entitlements to the benefits stated.
  • You must confirm you are actively seeking work to be able to claim fee remission (for categories G and J).
  • Non-EU students with less than 3 years' residency in the UK are not entitled to fee remission.
  • Students taking self-financing courses are not entitled to either fee remission or financial support.

Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group is pleased to be able to offer financial support to help students meet the costs of attending College.

Financial support payment start dates will be based on the date that the fully completed application form, with the correct supporting evidence, is received in Student Services and no backdated payments will be made. Once your application has been approved you will receive a letter of approval and a schedule of payment dates.


Finance Application Form 2018 19

Student Financial Support Arrangements

Childcare Application Form

Childcare Guidance Notes

A A student aged 16-18 on 31st August 2019 (excluding recreational courses). A student who is in receipt of one of the active benefits listed below: Please Note: The evidence you provide must be current and cover the start of the course(s)
B1* Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
B2* Employment and Support Allowance ESA (WRAG)
C A student where Basic Skills is the main learning aim (excluding ESOL)
D A student aged 19-23 on a first full level 2 programme & SFA approved
E A student aged 19-23 on a first full level 3 programme & SFA approved
F A student aged 19-23 enrolling on an Entry Level or full Level 1 programme whose intention is to progress to a full Level 2 course. PLEASE NOTE - Students must not already hold a full Level 2 qualification.
G* A student who is unemployed and on state benefits other than Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA WRAG) and needs skills training to help them to enter work. PLEASE NOTE - Remission for this category is at the college's discretion
H A student aged 19+ enrolling on GCSE Maths or English where they have not already achieved at grade A* to C
J* A learner in receipt of Universal Credit because they are unemployed and who are required to undertake skills training to help them to enter work.
K A student aged 19-24 with an Educational Healthcare Plan (EHP)
L The learner is eligible for co-funding and earns less than £16,009.50 annual gross salary. Please note evidence must be seen by the College to support this dated within 3 months of the start date.

College Maintenance Allowance (CMA)

Who can apply for this support?

Anyone with a total household income under £23,000 per year (excluding students enrolled on an apprenticeship, a self-financing course, a higher education (HE) course or students enrolled on a course with another education provider where funding is being claimed). Please note you will be asked to provide specific evidence when you apply.

How much will I get?

You can receive up to £20 per week. All successful applicants will receive a payment schedule. Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule. The payment is a contribution towards the cost of travel on public transport, the cost of food at College and other course related costs.

How will I get paid?

The agreed amount will be paid onto your Student ID card or in kind as per the payment schedule (there will be no cash alternatives)

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide evidence of current household income and we may request up to date evidence of your household income at any point during the academic year.

What other College related costs could I get help with?

If you are approved to receive CMA you could also receive help with additional College related costs, determined by the requirements of your course, such as:

Specialist equipment Specialist materials Essential uniform (refund to be claimed within 6 weeks of the course start date). Compulsory trips

If you are aged 19+ and not eligible for automatic fee remission, you may be able to receive help towards tuition fees for level 1 and 2 courses through discretionary fee remission. Applications are considered by the Vice Principal. Awards are based on individual circumstances. Please ask a Student Finance Advisor for more details.

Discretionary Childcare Funding for students aged 20+

This is support for students where childcare costs may be a barrier to attending College.

Who can apply for Discretionary Childcare Funding?

Students who are aged 20 or over on 31st August 2019 and have a total household income below £21,000 per year.

How will payments be made?

Payments will be made directly to an Ofsted registered childcare provider of your choice, as long as the provider agrees to our terms and conditions.

How much will the College contribute towards my childcare costs?

The College will contribute a maximum of £32 per full day, £16 for half a day or £16 per day for before and after school club (based on your timetabled lessons and compulsory placements). This support is available on a term-time only basis.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will need to provide a copy of your current Tax Credit Award, naming the child(ren) you are requesting help for. You will also need to provide details of your chosen childcare provider(s).

How do I apply?

You will have to complete an application form for Childcare Support in addition to the Student Financial Support application form. You can download the Childcare Support application form from the College website, by contacting the Student Finance Team on (01782) 254188 to request a copy, or by collecting one from the College.