Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group is pleased to be able to offer financial support to help students meet the costs of attending College.

There are two types of financial support: College Maintenance Allowance (CMA) and Vulnerable Student Bursary (VSB). Both allowances include support for food, travel and essential course costs. If you are aged 16 to 18 and received Free School Meals whilst at school you may still be eligible to receive this entitlement through one of the two allowances. You can check to see which allowance you may be eligible for by reading the guidance below.

Financial support payment start dates will be based on the date that the fully completed application form, with the correct supporting evidence, is received in Student Services and no backdated payments will be made. Once your application has been approved you will receive a letter of approval and a payment schedule.

College Maintenance Allowance (CMA)

Who can apply for this support?

Anyone with a total household income below £23,000 per year (excluding students enrolled on an apprenticeship, a self-financing course, a higher education (HE) course or students enrolled on a course with another education provider where funding is being claimed). Please note you will need to provide specific evidence when you apply to support your application.

How much will I get?

You can receive up to £20 per week. Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule. The payment is a contribution towards the cost of travel on public transport, the cost of food at College and other course related costs.

How will I get paid?

The agreed amount will be paid onto your Student ID card in accordance with our payment schedule or in kind. There will be no cash alternatives.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide evidence of current household income upon application and we may request up to date evidence of your household income at any point during the academic year. For guidance about the evidence you need to provide, please contact the Student Finance Team.

What other College related costs could I get help with?

If you are approved to receive CMA you could also receive help with additional College related costs, determined by the requirements of your course, such as:

Specialist equipment, specialist materials, essential uniform (refund to be claimed within 6 weeks of the course start date) and compulsory trips.

Please speak to a Student Finance Advisor for more details on any of the above.

Childcare Funding for students aged 16-19

Care to Learn is a Government scheme whereby if you are aged 19 or under on 31st August 2019, you may be eligible to receive help with the cost of childcare and transport (up to £160 per week) whilst you are learning. Your child must attend an Ofsted registered childcare provider.

For further information and details of how to apply please visit or telephone their Student Support Helpline on 0800 121 8989.

Vulnerable Student Bursary (for students aged 16-18 on 31st August 2019).

Who can apply?

You can apply for this bursary if one or more of the following applies to you:

You are in local authority care or have recently left local authority care/you are in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit in your own name (the evidence must confirm that you are allowed to participate in further education or training)/you are in receipt of Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in your own name.

How much will I get?

You can get up to £1,200 in total each academic year. You will receive most of your bursary through an allocation of up to £30 per week. Payments will be attendance based as detailed in the payment schedule. The remainder of your bursary will be allocated to meet your needs and the requirements of your course. This will be determined through one to one meetings with a Student Finance Advisor.

How will I get paid?

The money will be paid directly into your bank account. It is essential that you have a bank account in your own name. Please request a bank details form from the Student Finance Team.

When will I receive my first payment?

Once your application has been approved you will receive a schedule of payment dates.

What evidence will I need to provide?

You will be required to provide a local authority care status letter or current benefit evidence.

Travel Costs

Subsidised bus passes are available to purchase from the College. The College offers a range of bus passes for the following companies: First Network, Smart, D&G and Arriva. Please get in touch for further information.

If you will be travelling to College by rail pr require further information about the bus passes available, please see the additional Travel leaflet on this page, or please contact the Student Finance Team for further information.

Contact Us

If you need any help or assistance in relation to any of the information on this page, please do not hesitate to contact the Student Finance Team. We are happy to give advice and guidance over the phone, or to arrange appointments on a one to one basis.

Newcastle College - 01782 254188 or

Stafford College - 01785 275494 or