Is an apprenticeship for you?
This is you:
- I know what job I want and I'd like to start working now
- I want to experience student life and work life
- I want to get the right qualifications for my job
- I want to start earning money
- I want to study something that can help kick-start my career or get into university
- Usually two or more GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above in subjects that are relevant to subjects to the course you've chosen. You should be looking for a job, already have one or ask us to help you find one through The Apprenticeship Hub.
Your study programme:
- 20% off-the-job study time at college or in the workplace
- An apprenticeship (intermediate Level 2)
- Functional skills maths and English*
*Maths and English are essential and mandatory components of all study programmes at the College to ensure that you are prepared for continuing education or employment. If you haven't yet achieved grades 9-4 (A*-C) in these important subjects you'll continue with timetabled maths and/or English sessions and retake appropriate qualifications alongside your main course.
There are three levels of study:
- Apprenticeship - usually two GCSEs at grade C or above or an NVQ Level 1. The Apprenticeship leads to NVQ Level 2 plus Functional Skills and a Technical Certificate. The NVQ Level 2 is equivalent to five GCSEs at grade A* to C.
- Advanced Apprenticeship - usually four or more GCSEs at grade C or above (there may be specific GCSE subjects and grades for some work areas) or successful completion of an Apprenticeship Programme.
The Advanced Apprenticeship leads to NVQ Level 3 plus Functional Skills and a Technical Certificate. The NVQ Level 3 is equivalent to two A Levels and can allow you to progress on to higher education programmes.
- Higher Apprenticeship - You need to have completed an Advanced Apprenticeship or another relevant Level 3 qualification. The Higher Apprenticeship leads to an NVQ Level 4 with a Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if required.
If you are an employer, go to our employer apprenticeships page.