An apprenticeship is the perfect option if you are looking to jump straight in to the world of work, earn a real wage and gain practical skills whilst completing nationally recognised qualifications. Our Apprenticeship Hub team will help and support you on to the career ladder and is available at Open Events and throughout the year to discuss your options and find the best apprenticeship for you.
This is you:
• I know what job I want and I’d like to start working now
• I want to experience student life and work life
• I want to get the right qualifications for my job
• I want to start earning money
• I want to study something that can help kick-start my career or get me into university
• Usually two or more GCSEs at grade 4 or above in subjects that are relevant to the course you’ve chosen. You should be looking for a job, already have one or ask us to help find you one through The Apprenticeship Hub.
Your Study Programme:
• 20% off-the-job study time at college or in the workplace
• An apprenticeship (Intermediate Level 2 or Advanced Level 3)
• Maths and English*
There are three levels of study:
- Apprenticeship - usually two GCSEs at grade C or above or an NVQ Level 1. The Apprenticeship leads to NVQ Level 2 plus Functional Skills and a Technical Certificate. The NVQ Level 2 is equivalent to five GCSEs at grade A* to C.
- Advanced Apprenticeship - usually four or more GCSEs at grade C or above (there may be specific GCSE subjects and grades for some work areas) or successful completion of an Apprenticeship Programme.
The Advanced Apprenticeship leads to NVQ Level 3 plus Functional Skills and a Technical Certificate. The NVQ Level 3 is equivalent to two A Levels and can allow you to progress on to higher education programmes.
- Higher Apprenticeship - You need to have completed an Advanced Apprenticeship or another relevant Level 3 qualification. The Higher Apprenticeship leads to an NVQ Level 4 with a Technical Certificate and Functional Skills if required.
If you are an employer, go to our employer apprenticeships page.