Skip to main content

Course Code: NFVSC081

Course Level: Level 3

Study Mode: Full-Time

Course Type: T Level Courses

Course overview

Explore the intricate realm of science with our specialised T Level program. Acquire a comprehensive understanding of the science sector, including its regulations and standards. Develop essential skills for managing information and data, and embrace the principles of good scientific and clinical practice. Delve into advanced science topics such as cellular respiration, enzyme structure, and pathogen classification, while gaining hands-on experience with experimental equipment and techniques.

The core components of the course provide a broad understanding of the science industry and covers the following areas; working within the health and science sector, health & safety and environmental regulations, managing information and data, data handling and processing, ethics, good scientific and clinical practice, scientific methodology, experimental equipment and techniques.

Through the study of core and further science concepts you will learn elements from all science disciplines. In Biology you will cover cells and tissues, microbiology, immunology, enzymes and proteins and cellular respiration. In Chemistry you will learn about acids and bases, rates of reaction, kinetic changes and analytical techniques. 

In Physics you will study electricity, magnetism and electromagnetism, waves, radiation and gas laws.

During year 1 there is also an employer set project designed to develop your skills in the following areas; project management, researching, working with others, creativity and innovation, communication and reflective evaluation. 

In Year 2 the occupational specialism of Lab sciences covers the following: performing a range of appropriate scientific techniques to collect experimental data in a laboratory setting, complying with regulations and requirements. Plan, review, implement and suggest improvements to scientific tasks relevant to a laboratory setting identifying and resolving any issues with scientific equipment or data errors

You will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade 5 or above, including Maths, English Language and a science. You will also need to attend an interview.

T Level programmes follow GCSEs and are a qualification for students aged 16-18 at the start of the course.

Students will spent 80% of the course within a classroom environment and will be required to undertake the remaining 20% within industry.

You will be assessed through a combination of external assessments, coursework, work based observations and an employer project. In addition to an industry placement of the 2 years (block or day release)

For more information please contact ashley.griffiths@nscg.ac.uk.

T Levels carry UCAS points and are recognised by university and education providers as equivalent to completing three A Levels. Gaining a T level can lead on to higher study, Apprenticeships or into skilled employment. The Science Industry has a wide range of careers and jobs roles and career options could include working in healthcare related roles, forensic sciences or research and development scientist and many other science based occupations.

This course is free for anyone aged 16 – 18. If you are outside this age group, please contact Charlotte Robertson on 01782 254141 or email charlotte.robertson@nscg.ac.uk.

College Maintenance Allowance (CMA): Anyone with a household income under £26,000 can receive up to £20 per week financial support to help pay for travel and meals and meet the costs of essential trips, books, stationery and equipment. The payments will be subject to full attendance on your course. A range of other financial support is available, depending on your personal circumstances. For more details visit nscg.ac.uk/finance

New Course

84% High Grades

Distinction or above in 2023